Mr. Bazaar on Instagram!

COPYRIGHT © 2009 - 2012 BRIGHT.BAZAAR

Wednesday 21 July 2010

{I Heart NY: The High Line}

We all have those places that feel magical, right? Well, The High Line in New York City is one of those places to me. I discovered it first in 2009 and still remember the excitement as we walked up 10th getting closer with each step like it was only yesterday. A mile and a half long, the park stretches along an old elevated railway line, which had been disused since 1980. Walking through the park provides stunning views and a small space of calm from the buzz below; for me this simple experience was such a delight. Yesterday the Guardian posted a fascinating history gallery of The High Line railway through the ages, more of which you can find out about here, and for total High Line geeks, there is a book as well! Here are my favourites, plus a sneaky photo of me visiting the park in the summer of 2009, which was taken where the park passes West 17th Street. Have you been to The High Line? What places feel magical to you?

Top right, first panel: Joel Sternfield; middle left, second panel: me; all others: Paul Owen

15 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this, I've visited New York a few times from the UK and I didn't know this even existed!

    I'm going back in November and will definitely visit the High Line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool place - would love to go there sometime. Now, I have also passed on a Versatile Blogger award to you today in my post! No obligation to carry it on but feel free to pop by if you wish. Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The High Line really is a little quiet oasis that takes one away from the hub-bub of the city below... and it's steps away from one of my favorite concert halls, the Highline Ballroom, if music is what you want to hear (rather than traffic and taxi horns!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. really pretty photos Will!! NY is top top on my to go list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like a totally cool place, Will. Love the grass growing between the tracks...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool! I lived in Jersey City overlooking the skyline from the other side of the Hudson. Every morning I'd wake up to the most fantastic panoramic view of the city.

    Your design is up at my site, Will.

    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I have not been to this place! I will have to add it to my list of places to go when I visit New York. P.S. I mentioned you on my blog posting today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've managed to miss this awesome place on my trips to NYC but I will visit next time for sure. I really love the mall of literacy in central park. The big trees arching over the walkway is amazing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so visually stimulating! can't wait to go in May . . . I hope you'll be there with us too and you can take us to all your faves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you believe I live in NYC and have yet to visit the High Line.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah. Something else to add to my New York must list. I think that Bath in England is the most magical place I've been.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, if you can visit there, please do - it's a wonder!

    Catherine and Shannon - thanks for the shout outs!

    Tommy - Bath is a total treat! Nex time you're in the UK I'll take you to some more great UK places!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read about this a while ago in a mag, it looks incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been to NYC a million times and even lived just outside the city for 4 years...I have never been to the High Line! Add to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful, can't wait for you to bring me there in the spring! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - each one makes my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
window.location.href="http://www.brightbazaarblog.com/?blogger=http://brightbazaar.blogspot.com/2010/07/i-heart-ny-high-line.html";